- Any type of vegetable, raw or cooked (e.g., greens, potatoes, carrots, yams, tomatoes)
- Any type of herb, fresh or dried (e.g., cilantro, basil, oregano, turmeric, black pepper)
- Any type of fruit, raw or cooked (e.g., grapes, oranges, apples, bananas)
- Any type of legumes (e.g., beans, lentils, tempeh & peas)
- Any type of intact, whole grain (e.g., quinoa, buckwheat/kasha, brown rice, oats, barley)
- Sauces made from whole foods
- Water (sparkling OK), herbal teas
- Any type of seasoning & condiments (e.g., nutritional yeast, mustard, salsa, ketchup)
- Sweeteners (e.g., stevia, dates, maple syrup, coconut nectar/sugar)
- Plant fats, raw preferred (e.g., soaked nuts like almonds, cashews, brazil nuts, seeds like pumpkin, sunflower, chia, hemp, ground flax & avocado)
- Alcohol & caffeinated beverages
- Salt & high-sodium condiments
- All animal products including meat, fish, dairy, and eggs
- All semi or fully processed foods (e.g., processed sugar, oils, white: flour, bread, pasta)
- Sugary/diet/processed drinks (e.g., fruit juices, energy drinks, colas, sodas)
- Food additives (e.g., colorings, preservatives, thickeners, “natural flavor”)
Move Your Body:
When you start exercising, you feel better because your brain and body can do more. Your heart rate and blood pressure goes down, which decreases your risk for a number of diseases and gives you more energy.
- Bike or walk to work.
- Sitting is the new smoking! Get up and walk around occasionally while working or get a standing desk.
- Walk over to your coworker’s office instead of emailing or phoning them.
- Park your car farther away from the store/building and walk.
- Take the stairs instead of the elevator or escalator.
- Get a FitBit and track your movement all day.
- Get a dog and walk him/her daily. It’s a good way to get to know your neighbors too.
- Clean the house or garden.
- Play your favorite sport, do yoga, dance.
- Get up and out and have fun!